How to Clean & Tune Up Your Mac with Cleaner One Pro
Stay on top of your Mac maintenance!
- Even though Macs are known to offer better performance and stability than Windows PCs, there are scenarios where even Macs can run into problems and slow down.
- Most of these problems arise due to factors such as overload of unnecessary files and applications, junk files, duplicate files, and improper system optimization routines.
- Cleaner One Pro is a disk cleaning utility that comes to the rescue in such situations and allows you to optimize your Mac to keep it running smoothly.
It’s quite common for computers to slow down over time. A decrease in performance usually results in a drop in system efficiency, which corresponds directly with its performance.
Even though the consensus is that Macs generally offer better performance and stability than Windows PCs, there are scenarios where even Macs can run into problems and bog down. Most of these problems arise because of one or more of the following issues: overload of unnecessary files and applications, junk files, duplicate files, or improper system optimization routine.
Fortunately, there are utilities like Cleaner One Pro, which provide an extensive set of features to help you deal with such issues and simplify the process of Mac optimization to assist you in keeping your Mac running smoothly.
In this guide, we’ll discuss a few such Cleaner One Pro features and how you can use them to optimize your Mac.
Cleaner One Pro
Cleaner One Pro is an all-in-one disk cleaning manager from Trend Micro. It lets you visualize the disk usage on your Mac to get an idea of what’s occupying your storage, so you can clean the unrequired data (files, photos, etc.) and free up your storage space.
In addition, Cleaner One Pro also offers the ability to manage startup apps and delete unwanted apps and their associated data that can contribute to the Other storage problem on Mac over time.
Top Cleaner One Pro Features to Optimize Your Mac
Being a disk cleaning software, Cleaner One Pro offers a suite of all the essential storage cleaning utilities to help you keep your Mac running smoothly. We’ve already covered these features in detail in one of our earlier posts, which you can check out here.
So, for the purpose of this article, we’ll stick to only the top Cleaner One Pro features that you can use to optimize your Mac.
1. Smart Scan
Smart Scan, as its name suggests, is a smarter version of regular disk scanning. It combines all the core essentials of storage optimization, such as cleaning, optimization, and system diagnosis, into one utility to help you keep your Mac storage organized.
Once you run Smart Scan on your Mac, it presents you with all the details related to storage, diagnostics, and applications. You can click on the View Details button next to each of them to get a detailed breakdown of the report and take action accordingly. Or go into each feature manually to use them.
2. Big Files
Big Files is one of the unique features of Cleaner One Pro that separates it from other disk optimization software. It works by scanning your Mac’s storage to find all the big files that are taking up a lot of disk space, so you can identify and delete them without having to go into different directories and performing the same action over and over.
3. Duplicate Files
Duplicate Files makes it a lot easier to find duplicate files on your Mac. If you often need to move files between drives and directories, this feature can prove to be a lifesaver. With it, all you have to do is perform a scan to find out all the duplicate files in a directory, after which you can pick the ones you want to remove to free up space.
4. Similar Photos
Similar Photos works in pretty much the same way as Duplicate Files, except that it identifies photos that look similar, so you can delete them to avoid confusion and free up disk space. If you’ve got a barrage of similar-looking snaps on your drive that’s causing clutter and consuming a lot of your storage disk space, this function can certainly help you identify and delete them from your Mac.
5. Junk Files
Junk Files is yet another handy feature that helps you optimize your Mac’s storage. It helps you clean different kinds of junk files, including system caches, application logs, uninstalled application leftovers, and browser caches, which could end up hogging a significant part of your disk space over time.
6. Quick Optimizer
Quick Optimizer is a menu bar feature of Cleaner One Pro that allows you to optimize your Mac quickly to speed it up. When multiple resource-heavy apps are running on your Mac simultaneously, they often end up consuming a lot of its memory and CPU and cause a drop in its overall performance, especially if you’re using a base configuration Mac.
However, with Quick Optimizer, you can fix this overconsumption of resources and restore your Mac to its optimal performance levels again with the click of a button.
How to Use Cleaner One Pro to Optimize Your Mac
With the basics of Cleaner One Pro features out of the way, you’re now ready to optimize your Mac’s performance. However, before you proceed, download the software first and set it up on your Mac (Download link at the end of the article).
Once you’ve got Cleaner One Pro up and running on your Mac, follow the steps below to use it for optimizing your Mac’s performance.
Step 1: Run a Smart Scan
First, it’s essential to determine your Mac’s storage health to identify potential problems that can (or are causing) slow down in performance.
Use the following steps to run a smart scan:
- Run Cleaner One Pro, tap on its icon in the menu bar and click on System Optimizer.
- With the Smart Scan functionality selected from the left-hand menu, tap the Scan button.
Step 2: Analyze the Scanned Result
Once the scanning finishes, you’ll see a breakdown of all the different components listed under three separate categories: Storage, Diagnostics, and Application.
If you want a further breakdown into the scanned results of any of the items in these categories, click the View Details button beside them.
For instance, if you want to view junk files, big files, duplicate files, or similar photos, click on the button next to them to get a list of all the files/photos that belong to that category.
Step 3: Clean Junk Files
If you haven’t used Cleaner One Pro or any other disk cleaning utility on your Mac before, it’s likely for it to have accumulated a lot of junk files that might be hogging up some significant space of your drive. The best way to fix this clutter is to clean junk files.
Follow the steps below to do this:
- With Smart Scan already performed, click on the View Details button next to Junk Files.
- Click on the item on the left pane to view its constituents and the occupied storage. You also get to view the total space occupied by the junk files on the bottom tab.
- Select the items by ticking the checkbox beside them and click the Remove button to delete them.
Step 4: Clean Big Files
Similar to junk files, big files are another cause of cluttered disk space on Mac. You can view these big files on your system and the storage space they take up in the scanned result. If you’re running low on disk space and no longer need these files, you can delete them to free up your storage.
To clean big files, use the following steps:
- In the Smart Scan result window, tap on the View Details button beside Big Files.
- On the next screen, select the file from the left pane and hit the Next button.
- In the confirmation window, tap Remove to remove your selected files.
Step 5: Remove Similar Photos
Similar Photos also contribute to excessive disk storage on your Mac, just like big and junk files. Hence, it’s recommended that you remove them from your system to free up space and keep everything organized.
With Cleaner One Pro, you can do this with the help of the following steps:
- After you’ve performed the smart scan, click on the View Details button next to Similar Photos.
- Cleaner One Pro shows all the similar photos on your Mac on the next screen. Select the ones you want to delete and hit the Remove button.
Step 6: Completely Remove Unused Apps
Unused apps can often run you low on the disk space on your Mac. It’s for this reason that it’s essential to remove them; that too, along with all their associated files, to avoid cluttering the Other storage.
Follow the steps below to remove an app entirely on Mac:
- Click on App Manager from the left-hand menu and tap the Scan button on the right window.
- On the next screen, tick the checkbox for apps that you want to remove along with all their associated files.
- Click Remove to delete the app and its files completely.
Step 7: Manage Startup Items
Finally, the last step in the Mac optimization process is to manage the startup items (apps and launch agents). Doing this will let you choose which apps and launch agents on your Mac can run at startup so you can prevent slow down at boot.
The following steps will help you manage your startup items:
- Select Startup Manager from the left-hand pane.
- Click on Login Items to view a list of apps with permission to run at startup. Toggle the button next to the ones you want to disable to turn them off.
- Tap on Launch Agents to view a list of all the background services with the permission to run at startup. Toggle the button next to the ones you don’t want to start at login to turn them off.
Moreover, if you want to remove an item (app or launch agent) from the list, tick the checkbox beside them and hit the Remove button.
Successfully Optimizing Mac with Cleaner One Pro
If you followed this guide thus far, you should be able to use Cleaner One Pro effectively to optimize your Mac and tune its storage and performance to get a smooth performance out of it.
Cleaner One Pro is available for both Mac and Windows and has two tiers: Free and Pro. The free version offers access to all the essential features, such as memory optimizer, junk files cleaner, big files cleaner, and startup manager, while the paid upgrade unlocks a bunch of advanced features like duplicate finder, app manager, and file shredder to help you control even more aspects of your Mac.