- Removing backgrounds from images and replacing them with something you like is one of the most challenging editing operations.
- Although many full-fledged image editors let you do this with complete control over different aspects of the image, using these tools isn’t easy and requires you to go through a steep learning curve.
- PicWish comes in as an exception here. It’s a free image background removal tool that makes removing and changing image backgrounds as simple as clicking a few buttons. And the best part is it supports bulk operations, which adds to the convenience further.
One of the challenging tasks in photo editing is removing the background from an image and replacing it with something you like.
Although many full-fledged image editors let you do this with complete control over different aspects of the image, using these tools isn’t easy and requires you to go through a steep learning curve. Not to mention, it isn’t ideal when you want to remove backgrounds from multiple images at once.
Web-based or online background remover tools are better suited for such use cases. And PicWish happens to be one such tool that promises to remove background from images in under 3 seconds, for free! Plus, if you want to remove background from images in bulk, it even has a desktop app that can help you do so with up to 100 images at once.
Let’s dive in to explore PicWish and check out how to use it to remove background from images.
Table of Contents
What Is PicWish?
PicWish is an AI-powered platform to remove and change image backgrounds. It’s free to use and available as both a web app and a desktop app (on Windows and Mac).
PicWish promises to remove the background from images in under 3 seconds. Using it, you can remove backgrounds from images containing products, people, cars, animals, and graphics. In addition, you can also change the background of an image using pre-designed templates or custom colors based on your preference.
One of the best features of PicWish is batch processing, which allows you to remove background from up to 100 images at once. It even offers access to its background removal API for developers to integrate similar functionality into their apps.
What Features Does PicWish Offer?
PicWish is primarily a background removal platform, but it also bundles a few other tools to help you with other image manipulation operations.
Here’s a list of all such PicWish tools:
- Photo Retouch: Lets you remove unwanted objects from images
- Portrait Enhance: To unblur faces in your images
- Photo Enhance: Lets you fix blurry pictures
- Photo Colorize: For restoring old photos and adding a flair to them
As for the features PicWish’s background remover tool offers, you get the following:
- One-click automatic background removal
- Ability to exclude/include objects manually
- Set a color or an image as the background
- Resize images
- Export image in different output formats
- Add effects (shadow, blur, etc.)
- Remove background from images in bulk
How to Use PicWish to Remove Background from Images
As we mentioned initially, PicWish is available on the web and on the desktop, with different sets of functionality. So, depending on what you want to do, you need to choose one accordingly.
If you want a faster and easier way to remove the background from an image, PicWish’s web app is the best way to go about it. You can use it on your mobile phone, tablet, or PC through a web browser. And, with it, you even get the option to change the background should you need it.
Alternatively, if you want to remove the background from multiple images at once, you can use PicWish’s desktop app on Mac or Windows. This also gives you a few extra features, like applying effects and multiple export options, among others.
Here’s how to use both these methods to remove and change the background from an image.
Related Read: 9 Best Photo Editing Apps for Mac
Method 1: How to Remove Background from Images Using PicWish Web App
- Open your favorite web browser on your PC or mobile phone and visit the PicWish website.
- Click the Upload Image button, and when it opens the file manager, choose the image whose background you want to remove to upload it to PicWish. Alternatively, drag and drop the image directly onto the PicWish website.
- Once the image is uploaded, PicWish will show you the resultant image—with a transparent background—next to the original image.
- Although PicWish does a good job of detecting and removing background from images, if it leaves out certain objects in the background, you can use the Erase function to draw over the original image and remove them. Similarly, if any part of the subject in your image is removed, you can use the Keep function and draw over it to bring it back.
- Once you’re satisfied with the cutout, hit the Download button to download the image. To undo an action, click the Undo button at the top or press the Ctrl + Z keyboard shortcut.
- If you wish to add a background to the image, click the Background button and choose the Colors tab to fill out the background with it. Or, if you want to add an image to the background, click on the Images tab, hit the plus (+) button, and upload the image you want to use as a background.
Method 2: How to Remove Background from Images Using PicWish Desktop App
First, download the PicWish installer for Windows from the link below and run it to install the program. Next, head over to PicWish’s website and create an account. Or, if you don’t want to sign up, you can skip this step and log in with your Google/Facebook/Twitter/Apple account.
- Launch PicWish on your PC.
- Sign in to PicWish.
- Select Remove BG from the PicWish main window.
- When prompted with a prompt to upload image(s), either hit the Upload Image or Upload Folder button and, using File Explorer, select the image(s)/folder to upload them or drag and drop the image(s)/folder directly onto the PicWish app.
- Once you’ve uploaded the images, hit the Start button to remove the background.
- If you wish to select or deselect a portion from being removed, click on the Manually button in the right sidebar and tap on Erase or Keep buttons accordingly to make desired changes to the image.
- After you’ve finished doing that, click on Background again to view the cutout and hit the Save All button to save the image. To export the image in another format or adjust its DPI, hit Export Options and choose your desired settings.
- If you want to add a background color or picture to the image, tap on a color in the right sidebar to see it live. Alternatively, tap on the plus (+) button under Custom and choose an image to set as the background for your image.
PicWish Plans and Pricing
PicWish is free to use on the web. Likewise, its desktop app also offers access to most features, except for a few. However, if you want access to its entire feature set, you can upgrade to PicWish Pro, which comes in at the following monthly subscription cost:
- $4.99: 50 images/month
- $9.99: 200 images/month
- $15.99: 500 images/month
- $24.99: 1000 images/month
- $59.99: 5000 images/month
Alternatively, you can get a lifetime subscription to PicWish Pro with any of the following plans:
- $4.99: 20 images/month
- $15.99: 300 images/month
- $29.99: 1000 images/month
- $129.99: 5000 images/month
If, after you’ve paid for a subscription, you aren’t satisfied with the service, you can get a refund within 7 days.