Good news! Sn0wBreeze 1.6.1 has been released! iH8sn0w, the developer behind Sn0wbreeze jailbreaking tool has just released the updated version which supports jailbreaking iPhone 3G/3GS-old boot/iPod Touch 2G and iOS 4.0 on Windows. Sn0wbreeze 1.6 is nothing but the PwnageTool port to Windows and hence it can create custom firmware for iOS 4.0 while preserving baseband to keep your iPhone unlocked, unlike redsn0w.
PwnageTool 4.01 was released yesterday by the iPhone dev team to jailbreak iOS 4.0 on iPhone 3GS. But PwnageTool is only for Mac. For Windows users, RedSn0w 0.9.5 beta 5 was the only jailbreaking tool available which doesn’t work for iPhone 3GS.
If you have iPhone 3GS with old bootrom and already pwned on 3.1.2 with anything other than Spirit, then download Sn0wbreeze 1.6.1 for Windows and get it jailbroken now.
Download Sn0wbreeze 1.6.1 for Windows
Download Sn0wbreeze 1.6.1 for Windows here
Guide to Jailbreak iOS 4.0 on iPhone 3G/3GS and iPod Touch 2G using Sn0wbreeze 1.6.1
As I already mentioned, Sn0wbreeze is just a windows port of PwnageTool 4.01. Hence only following devices are supported
iPhone 3G/3GS (old bootrom/already jailbroken with anything other than Spirit)
iPod Touch 2G (non MC model)
Here is a step-by-step guide for your reference
1. Start iTunes and backup your iPhone/iPod touch data
2. Download Sn0wbreeze and the original iOS 4 firmware file for your version of iPhone or iPod touch. Move all these files to your desktop.
3. Start Sn0wbreeze and select “Simple Mode”.
4. Select the correct iOS firmware ipsw file by clicking the “Browse” button.
5. Click on “Yes” when Sn0wbreeze asks you “Do you want to activate your iPhone?” for hacktivation. Click on “No” only if you are on an officially supported carrier like AT&T.
6. Sn0wbreeze will now create the custom .ipsw file for your iPhone which will be jailbroken.
7. Restore your iPhone to this custom firmware you just created. Click on your phone from the sidebar in iTunes and then press and hold left “Shift” button on the keyboard and then click on “Restore” button in the iTunes and then release the “Shift” button. Select the location of your custom .ipsw firmware and click on “open“.
8. iTunes will do the rest for you. Just wait while iTunes installs the new iOS 4 on your iPhone. iPhone will restart automatically and you should now have a fully jailbroken iPhone running on iOS 4.
Unlock iPhone 3G/3GS on iOS 4.0 using Ultrasn0w 0.93
Once you have jailbroken your iPhone, you can follow our step-by-step guide to unlock iPhone 3GS on any baseband using Ultrasn0w 0.93
Disclaimer: This guide is for testing & educational purposes only. Follow it on your own risk. I’m not responsible for any loss of important data or malfunctioning of your iPhone.