In addition to launching the affordable Redmi 2, Xiaomi announced the launch of its Android tablet, the MiPad in India. The tablet has been priced at Rs.12,999 (~$208). Interestingly, Xiaomi has dumped their flash sale model for this and it will available on open sale beginning March 24th.
MiPad is Xiaomi’s first ever tablet and carries some impressive hardware. It comes with a 7.9-inch 2048×1536 IPS LCD display and is powered by 2.2GHz NVIDIA Tegra K1 quad-core processor with 2GB of RAM. The MiPad comes with 16GB of internal storage along with a microSD slot capable of expanding the storage up to 128GB. There’s a 8MP camera on the rear and a 5MP front facing camera.
The MiPad is just 9.4mm thin and weighs 360 grams. The design looks heavily inspired from the Apple iPad mini, although the body is made of plastic unlike aluminum on the latter. The tablet has 4:3 aspect ratio and the display has Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection. It also comes with USB OTG support.
Xiaomi miPad Specifications
- 7.9-inch (2048 × 1536 pixels) IPS display at 326 ppi
- 2.2 GHz NVIDIA Tegra K1 processor with 192-core Kepler GPU
- 2GB RAM
- 16GB internal storage, expandable to 128GB via Micro SD card.
- Android 4.4 KitKat with MIUI ROM
- 8MP rear camera and 5MP front-facing camera
- 8.5mm thick and weighs 360 grams
- WiFi 802.11/b/g/n/ac Dual Band (2X2 MIMO), Bluetooth 4.0
- 6700 mAh battery
At Rs.12,999 it is very attractively priced. The MiPad takes on the likes of Google Nexus 7 2013, Asus FonePad 7, Dell Venue 8 2014 and Galaxy Tab 3 Neo in India.