Indian app Froggipedia is Apple’s iPad App of the Year
AR app dissects the opposition
It is that time of the year when different platforms announce the best apps and games of the year. Google has already come out with its list of best apps. And now it is Apple’s turn. The Cupertino giant has announced its list of best apps for 2018, and one of the winners comes from India – Froggipedia by Designmate.
The app from the Ahmedabad based outfit had made headlines earlier this year by using AR to offer a digital version of a frog dissection on the iPad, thus acquainting users with the necessary information without harming any living being. In fact, it became the first Indian app to be showcased during the Apple keynote at the Chicago education event earlier this year. Needless to say, the win is a massive achievement not just for Designmate but the Indian app developer community in general.
Winners in a number of other categories were announced too. It was a good year for puzzlers with Donut County being named the iPhone game of the year and Gorogoa taking the mantle for the iPad. Procreate Pocket, the sketching and drawing app was named the iPhone app of the year. In terms of trends, not surprisingly, the Battle Royale style gaming was highlighted as the gaming trend of the year while self-care was the app trend that defined 2018. Some more notable winners were:
- Apple TV App of the Year: Sweat
- Apple TV Game of the Year: Alto’s Odyssey
- Artist of the Year: Drake
- Song of the Year: “I like it” by Cardi B (featuring Bad Bunny and J Balvin)
- Best Podcast of the Year: In the Dark
- Best Movies (on Apple TV and iTunes): Annihilation
- Best TV Shows (on Apple TV and iTunes): The Americans
- Book of the Year: American Marriage
- Audiobook of the Year: American Marriage
You can check out the entire list on Apple’s website.