- Wondershare Recoverit is a data recovery software that allows you to recover the deleted data (photos, videos, audio, documents, and more) from your computer or any storage device.
- It is available for both Mac and Windows computers and has a straightforward recovery process that involves just three steps.
- The software includes support for a wide range of types and formats of data and files, and the company boasts of a high recovery success rate in the industry.
- For more such useful and interesting software suggestions, check out our Downloads hub.
Losing access to data is undoubtedly one of the most annoying and unfortunate experiences in the digital age. Be it due to accidental deletion of files, system crashes, or even hardware failures, the fear of losing data is petrifying and always encourages one to take multiple backups of their valuable data to ensure they do not succumb to misfortune. While that is not a bad practice at all, it never hurts to have a backup (second) plan to keep your data safe — especially when it comes to personal photos, videos, and files that are really important to you. This is where data recovery software come into play, with their extensive suite of features that aim to help you recover your lost data across different devices.
Although you may find numerous data recovery services out there — free or otherwise — the one we are taking a look at is called Recoverit. And it comes from the popular software maker, Wondershare, known for products like Filmora, PDFElement, and FamiSafe. Here’s what Filmora Recoverit offers and how it assists you with your data recovery needs.
What is Recoverit?
Wondershare Recoverit is a data recovery software that allows you to recover the deleted data (photos, videos, audio, documents, and more) from your computer or any storage device. It is available for both Mac and Windows computers and has a straightforward recovery process that involves just three steps. The software includes support for a wide range of types and formats of data and files, and the company boasts of a high recovery success rate in the industry.
Wondershare Recoverit Features
Depending on what plan you subscribe to, Wondershare Recoverit offers a slightly different set of features while keeping the hero feature — data recovery — same across the board for different plans. Here are a few of the highlighting features of Recoverit.
1. To begin with, the software comes with support for 1000+ file types and formats. So you can use it to recover everything from different types of media files (audio, photo, video), to emails and archives, to all the different document formats (PDF, PPT, XML, etc.) supported on the macOS and Windows operating system.
2. Once you select the drive/device from which you want to recover the deleted files, the software performs a deep scan to find all the deleted/lost files on the drive. You can view the scan status in the progress bar and find out details like the number of files found and the number of hard drive sectors scanned.
3. As soon as Recoverit scans a drive for lost data, it displays the scan results and also gives you an option to preview items (photo, video, audio, documents, etc.) before you start recovering them. You can preview a file that is less than 15MB on the Mac and less than 30MB on Windows.
4. The software is compatible with most of the commonly used file systems out there, such as NTFS, FAT32, FAT16, exFAT, APFS, HFS+, RAW, etc.
5. Alongside data recovery, Recoverit also comes with the video repair functionality, which enables you to repair the corrupted or inaccessible videos you always wanted to fix.
6. When it comes to recovering the lost data itself, the software gives you the option to recover items individually (one-by-one) or as multiple files — to save some time and effort. Plus, as already mentioned, the entire data recovery process is fairly simple and easy-to-use.
What operating systems does Wondershare Recoverit support?
As stated initially, the Wondershare Recoverit data recovery software is available for both Mac and Windows. On the Mac side, it is available for macOS X 10.9 (Mavericks) all the way up to the latest version, macOS Big Sur. On the other hand, with Windows, the software supports all versions between Windows XP and Windows 10.
What devices can you use with Recoverit?
According to the company, Recoverit can work with a wide range of devices such as drives (internal and external, including HDD, SSD, and pendrive), memory cards, digital cameras and drone cameras, and music players (iPod and the likes).
How to use Wondershare Recoverit to recover lost data?
Gettings started with Recoverit is as easy as downloading and installing the software on your Mac or Windows computer. When installed, you can either stick to the free plan (with 100MB of data recovery) or can upgrade to any of the three subscription plans as per your requirements.
1. Pick location/drive to scan and recover lost data
Now that have everything set up, you are ready to start with the data recovery process. To do this, select the drive (you want to recover lost data from) on the homepages of the software. If you need to recover data from an external drive, make sure the same is connected to the computer, and select it under the External Devices section. In addition, you can also choose to select a folder from where you want to recover data. When you have a location or drive selected, hit the Start button at the bottom.
2. Scan lost data and filter results
Recoverit will now begin scanning the selected drive or location for all the lost data. Depending on how large the selected source is, this process can take time accordingly. You can view the scan status on the progress bar on top. Additionally, if you want to narrow down the scan results, you can use the filters on the right-hand menu and select the filters as you see fit. For instance, you can filter scans by file type, kind of file, file size, or even by the date it was last modified. At any time, if you want to pause/stop the ongoing scan, you have the pause and stop button next to the scan progress bar.
3. Preview scanned results
Once Recoverit scans the selected drive/location for lost data you get the option to preview the files. Although you can directly hit the Recover button to restore all the lost files, previewing them helps you better find the files you actually need. This step particularly proves to be useful when you have a large number of files to recover. So, irrespective of whether you are on Windows or Mac, you can hit the Preview button to take a peek into the file and get access to a bunch of details. Moreover, the software also pulls up similar files to the one you selected, which further makes it easier to pick the files you need to recover.
4. Recover scanned files
Lastly, once your selected drive/location is scanned and you have reviewed the items that you want to recover, hit the Recover button at the bottom to restore the selected files. While you do that, make sure you pick a restore location that is different from the one where the lost data is recovered to avoid overwriting of data.
What are the use-case scenarios of Recoverit?
At large, there are numerous reasons that may lead to a data loss situation. These can be anything from accidentally (and directly) deleting files on your computer or emptying your recycle bin, to having a drive formatted unexpectedly/accidentally, to getting a storage solution infected, to having a device/storage solution malfunction, rendering it unusable. And the Wondershare Recoverit suggests working in any of those scenarios to help you recover your valuable data. Besides the standard recovery functionality, the Recoverit data recovery software also offers a few more features.
1. Recoverit Advanced Recovery
The standard recovery system should help you find most of your lost data and subsequently help you recover it. However, for times when you have large video files, it is likely, in some instances, that the software fails to pick such files with standard scanning. And this is what the Advanced Recovery mode is meant for. So, when you need to perform an advanced recovery, select the Advanced Video Recovery option from the software’s home screen. Next, follow the same steps as you would with the standard recovery procedure to recover your video files.
2. Repair Corrupted Videos
Alongside assisting you to recover large video files, Wondershare Recoverit also provides a repair functionality to help you repair corrupted videos. To repair a corrupted or damaged video, select the Repair Corrupted Videos option from the home screen and choose the (corrupted) video. In case a video is not located, hit the Advanced Repair button at the bottom. Once the tool repairs the video, you get to preview it (on the following screen) and an option to save the repaired version.
3. Restore data from crashed Mac/Windows computer
Last, but certainly not least, the Wondershare Recoverit software also offers you the ability to restore data from a crashed computer (Mac and Windows). So, if you come across a situation where your machine crashed, which resulted in a scenario where you lost your data, you have a way to recover the lost data. For this, you need to create a bootable drive and boot into the system with that drive. Once booted, you can either create a copy of the drive or recover the lost data using the standard recovery process.
Wondershare Recoverit: Pricing
The Wondershare Recoverit data recovery software offers three subscription plans for individuals.
First is the Essential plan, which comes in at $59.95 per year, and as its name suggests, it provides all the essential features one requires with data recovery software. Next is the Standard subscription (at $69.95 per year) that brings over all the feature set from the Essential plan and adds a few extra ones like free tech support, the ability to create bootable disks, recover crashed Mac, and solve grey screen of death. Lastly, at $79.95 per year, there is the Advanced plan, and it carries forward all the features from the other two plans and appends a few more to the tally, such as advanced video recovery, the ability to repair corrupted drives, and scan and merge video fragments.
Besides, the company also offers a free subscription, which shares most of the basic features common on all three subscriptions. However, unlike the paid ones, it does not offer unlimited data recovery, and you are stuck with only 100MB. So, if you just want to try out the service before paying for a subscription, or you want to recover specific items that account for less than 100MB of data (in size), you can go with the free plan. Moreover, in case you get a subscription for the service and you end up finding it not that effective for your use-case, Wondershare runs a 7-day moneyback guarantee, which you can use to get a refund.