- Most web browsers offer some kind of sync functionality so that you can sync bookmarks, history, passwords, etc., between your devices.
- If you use a particular browser on both your mobile phone and computer, it makes sense to sync your browser data across both devices.
- Once you have a browser synced on your devices, you can easily access its data on any device and enjoy seamless browsing.
We have all sorts of internet browsers on the internet — each claiming to be better than the other in terms of performance, user privacy, and security. Depending on what platform you use, be it a computer or a mobile phone and the operating system powering it, everyone has their preferred browser of choice. One that they invariably use across all of their devices for surfing the web and looking up things on the internet.
If you, too, have a preferred browser, which you use on your computer, mobile phone, or tablet, and have all your data (bookmarks, history, password, and addresses) saved on to, you can improve your browsing experience by syncing this data across all your devices.
And here is a guide to help you set up browser-sync between your computer and mobile phone on different web browsers.
How to sync Google Chrome data between devices
Google Chrome is the preferred browser of choice for many users. Especially those who are completely engrossed in the vortex of Google apps and services. To sync data on Chrome, you, obviously, need to sign-in with your Google account. Once you are signed in, you can sync all your bookmarks, history, passwords, payment information, addresses, and even settings and preferences among your devices.
Steps to enable data syncing on Chrome
1. Open Chrome on your computer.
2. Click on the vertical three-dot menu and go into Settings.
3. Under the You and Google section, click Sync and Google services.
4. Now, click on the Turn on sync button, and in the confirmation pop-up, click Yes, I’m in.
5. To manage what information is synced, in the Sync section under Sync and Google services, click on Manage what you sync. And from here, either select Sync everything: to sync everything or Customize sync: to sync select data.
6. On your mobile phone (Android and iOS), open Chrome and go to Settings.
7. Click on Sync and Google Services and select Sign in to Chrome. Enter your Google account credentials and click on Yes, I’m in.
8. Next, toggle the button for Sync your Chrome data. And tap on Manage sync to manage what data is synced with other devices.
Once that is done, your data (selected) will be synced with Chrome across all your devices.
How to sync Brave Browser data between devices
Much like Chrome, which is based on Chromium, Brave is another fork of the same, and thus, requires you to enable Brave sync to make your data available on Brave across all devices.
Steps to enable data syncing on Brave
1. Open brave Browser on your computer.
2. Click the hamburger menu and select Sync.
3. On the Manage your synced devices page, click on the Start a new Sync Chain button.
4. Choose Phone/Tablet in the device type window.
5. Open Brave on your Android or iOS device and go to Settings.
6. From the Settings, choose Sync.
7. Click on I have a Sync Code, and when prompted, grant Brave access to your camera.
8. Point your mobile phone’s camera to the Sync Chain QR Code on your computer to put them in sync.
Additionally, if you want to sync your data on Brave across multiple computers, you can do that as well. For this, go to the Sync menu in Brave and select Start a new Sync Chain. Now, on your target computer (you want to sync data to), click on I have a Sync Code and type the chain code (aka sync passphrase) from your source computer in the window here. And finally, click OK.
As soon as your devices are synced, you can access all your Brave Browser data on any of these devices.
How to sync Mozilla Firefox data between devices
Mozilla Firefox requires you log-in with your Firefox account to be able to sync your browser data across all your devices. If you are already a Firefox user, you likely have an account. And you can use the same to log-in to Firefox on all your devices.
Steps to enable data syncing on Firefox
1. Open the Firefox browser on your computer.
2. Click the hamburger menu and choose Sign in to Firefox.
3. When prompted, enter your Firefox account login credentials.
4. Once done, click on the Show code button.
5. On your mobile (Android device), open Firefox. Go to Settings, and click on Turn on Sync. On the other hand, on an iOS device, go to Settings and choose Sign in to Sync.
6. Now, both operating systems will present you with the same options. Choose Ready to Scan. When prompted, click on Confirm pairing, and your devices should now be synced. Alternatively, if this method fails, you can log-in with your Firefox account details on your mobile phone and click on the Sync Now button to sync all your information across your devices.
With Firefox synced on all your devices, you can view all the information from any of these devices.
How to sync Microsoft Edge data between devices
Edge is an all-new offering from Microsoft that is based on the Chromium open-source project. Similar to Brave, Microsoft Edge also imports a lot of features, including the rendering engine, from Google Chrome.
If you use Edge on both your computer and mobile phone, the best way to have a seamless browsing experience is to sync all your data across your devices.
Steps to enable data syncing on Edge
1. Open Microsoft Edge on your computer.
2. Click on the profile icon on the tap Sign In. Enter your Microsoft account login credentials.
3. Select Continue. And when asked, choose Sync to sync your browser information.
4. Open Edge on your Android or iOS device and sign-in.
5. Go to Settings and click on your account.
6. Select Sync settings, toggle the button next to Sync to on state, and select the items you want to sync.
Once you have the sync functionality enabled, all your Edge information will be shared across all your devices.
Syncing browser data across devices
Syncing browser data can be useful for times when you read an article (or visit a website) on one of your devices and want to pick up where you left off on another device. If you use the same browser on your computer, tablet, or phone, you can sync your profiles across all your devices to enjoy seamless browsing across the board.
Using the steps outlined above — for each browser — you should be able to enable the sync functionality across all your computer and mobile devices. And as long as you have your browser information synced on all your devices, you can easily access the synced information on them.