Even if the speed of our internet connection is constantly increasing, there are still moments when it goes down, or when some other problems appear and our downloads suffer from this. Some lose speed and only work with a few kbps and some stop.
The problems appear when we try to resume these downloads. Sometimes, these downloads break and further download is impossible. When this happens, we turn our eye towards download managers that help us recover broken downloads. And in moments like those, a few tips on which is the best or other tricks we could try, are most welcome.
How to Recover a Download That’s Been Cancelled
As I mentioned earlier, these broken downloads appear whenever there are connection problems with our Internet access, or when the files on the server are corrupt or unreachable. This might sound like a big problem, but fear not, there are ways we can overcome this inconvenience. Although not all of them work, and not all downloads are recoverable, some can be “helped along”.
What happens is that a fragment of the encryption code is unreadable, or a part of the download cannot be accessed, and so, the entire file becomes unreachable. Although the parts that seem to be missing are still on the server, we just can’t get to them, and for that, there are all sorts of applications out there that can give us that helping hand.
Tips on Recovering Broken Downloads
- Close your Internet connection and reconnect. This trick has worked for me numerous times and it still works. When a download fails, I close the Internet connection and resume the download after I reconnect.
- Stop and resume the download. This method works usually when the speed of the download goes down and it cannot download anymore. This simple trick that can help is to renew its connection to the server and it will give the download a fresh connection.
- If any other method does not work, then a re-download might do the trick. Deleting the temp file and restarting the download might prove to be the solution.
- Searching for an alternate mirror. If a server is causing you trouble when downloading, then it’s better to look for another mirror server that has the same file and try downloading it from there. This will be the best solution and it will most likely take care of your problem.
- If you want to download from a file sharing website, then request a new download link. Many have expired download links and getting a fresh one can help you download your files.
Top 5 Download Managers
If neither of the methods above work, then it’s time to get to the big guns. And these are the last resort: Download Managers. These programs can help you with most nasty downloads that have no apparent reason for failing. Although, keep in mind, not all of these work 100%. Some downloads might even be irrecoverable and no matter what you try, you cannot access them and the only way to get them is to try another website or source.
One of quickest ways to download media files such as music file from websites that don’t work is GetBot. This simple program lets you input the URL of the website and it will download all the pictures it can find. Although, if you are looking for a specific picture, you will have to search for it in the results. In the future we might see an update that will let you download other than pictures.
4. Recover Damaged Files
A great way to recover files that have been downloaded poorly and do not open is Recover Damaged Files. This free program offers support for a number of tasks, like recover deleted files or corrupt files on your hard drive. As a bonus, it provides you with lots of other useful tools for your computer.
Being available for both Windows and Mac users, iGetter is the perfect tool for fixing those broken downloads and managing your other downloads as well. Besides the obvious feature of recovering downloads, iGetter doubles as a download accelerator. So give it a try and see for yourself just how useful it can be.
MetFileRegenerator is a program that allows you to regenerate broken downloads and files in order to make them usable. It requires Java Runtime Environment v1.4 or higher in order to work, and it can make quick work of your damaged download files.
1. Free Download Manager
Enjoy a full service program that can help you to regenerate broken downloads as well as providing other useful features like BitTorrent support or Flash Video Download. Keep your downloads safe and tidy by using this great program.
Now you won’t have any more problems with downloads that just won’t complete. Armed with these tools, you can now download to your heart’s content, and most of the time you won’t have to hustle with broken downloads anymore.[photo credits: HebaPhoto]