Back in 2016, Reliance Jio became a household name in India as everyone rushed to their nearest stores to grab a free SIM card with 3 months of unlimited data, voice calls, and SMS messages. The growth of the telecom operator ever since has been phenomenal, thanks to irresistible offers and lucrative plans. Today, in the Annual General Meeting held at Mumbai, Reliance’s Chairman and Managing Director, Mukesh Ambani announced a few more additions to Jio’s portfolio, including Jio GigaFiber and a new JioPhone 2. Along with some new products, Jio also had a lot of numbers to showcase. Let’s take a look at what they mean.
- 215 Million. This is the total number of users of Jio Network, which Reliance claims to have doubled in a year. Bharti Airtel, India’s most common network provider, stands at about 305 million users. Given that the birth of Reliance Jio took place just recently, it’s incredible to see how the telco has grown exponentially over the past two years. Jio claims that gaining 215 million users in a span of 22 months is a record that no technology company has been able to achieve anywhere in the world.
- 240 Crore. The total mobile data usage in gigabytes (GB) per month consumed by Jio Subscribers. This number has almost doubled from 125 crore GB per month last year.
- 530 Crore. The total number of minutes of voice calls per day made by Jio users which has grown more than twofold to last year’s 250 crore minutes.
- 340 Crore. The amount of video consumption of Jio users in hours, per month, which has considerably increased from the 165 crore number last year.
- Reliance claims that on an average, every Jio subscriber spends more than 290 minutes which translates to about 5 hours a day using Jio’s services on his/her smartphone.
- Jio also announced that it now has more than 25 million active users of the JioPhone which it released last year having a tagline of ‘India ka Smartphone’ with the aim to provide 4G internet connectivity to everyone in India for effective free of cost by charging a refundable security deposit of a paltry Rs. 1500. Jio claims that there are more than 500 million users of feature phones in India who are not connected to the Internet, which they want to change with the help of the Jio Phone. Jio also aims to sell 100 million JioPhones in the future.
Reliance Jio is aiming to create a completely digital experience for its users, ranging right from their data services on smartphones, to gigabit internet at home along with 4K internet TV, and IoT devices as well like smart speakers or switches. With a rapidly growing subscriber base, it’s just a matter of time till Jio dominates the Indian telecom sector with its services.