It might not have made as many headlines as ANC, but the Transparency mode on the AirPods Pro is one of its most compelling features, as it uses ANC to actually allow you to hear external sounds more clearly. And that can be actually very important, as you sometimes need to hear sounds around yourself as well as the sound that is coming from your earphones – the sound of traffic while you are out on a run, for instance. This is why we are going to tell you about how to get into Transparency Mode on your AirPods Pro (yes, it works only on them).
Transparency Mode can be accessed not in one or two but three different ways (at least!). You can turn the mode on and off by using the buds, the Control Center or by going to the Settings app. Here is how:
(Note: We are assuming you are using the AirPods Pro with an iOS device, as most people do. If you are using them with an Android device, then the first method is the only one which will work)
Method 1: A bit of pressure on them AirPod Pros
The easiest way to turn the Transparency Mode on or off without is by accessing it through your AirPods Pro themselves. Here’s what you need to do:
- Pair and connect your AirPods Pro with your device. (duh)
- Once connected, find the small flat force sensor pad on the stem (there is one on each AirPod).
- Press and hold it down until you hear a slight blink sound which will mean the Transparency Mode is on. Pressing down the sensor again will turn the mode off.
Method 2: Take control through the Control Center
If you have stubby fingers and if finding the sensors on the tiny stems of the AirPods Pro is a bit of a task for you, then you can access the mode right through the Control Center if you are using the buds with an iOS device.
- Pair and connect your AirPodsPro to your iOS device. (well, of course)
- Once connected, open the Control Center on your iPhone or iPad. You will find the AirPods Pro icon on the sound/volume bar.
- Now, press and hold the sound/volume bar. This will get you three options: Noise Cancellation, Off and Transparency.
- Tap on the Transparency icon, which when turned on, will have a blue circle around it.
- You can turn Transparency Mode off by tapping on the icon again which will make the blue circle disappear.
Method 3: Settling it in Settings
Want still more ways of getting to Transparency Mode? Well, there is one more way of getting there. And it passes through the almighty Settings. It is slightly roundabout and we do not really know why you would want to take this path, when easier ones exist, but well, just in case you do, this is what needs to be done:
- Once you have paired and connected your AirPods Pro to your iOS device, open the Settings app.
- In the app, you need to find “Bluetooth.” Tap on it and see the list of paired devices.
- Find the AirPods Pro connected to your device in the list and tap on small blue “i” icon next to it.
- On this screen, find the Transparency Mode option next to “Noise Cancellation” and “off” icons. (It will be the same as you encountered in the Control Centre)
- Tap on the Transparency icon which will get a blue circle around it once activated. You can turn it off by tapping on it again. (As you did before)