Picture this: you go to your local grocery store or a supermarket, having a mental shopping list of everything you want to buy. You spend a few hours browsing the store and at the cashier desk you wonder if you have forgotten anything. Pleased that you’ve got everything you went out to buy, you get in your car, and drive home. In the moment you step inside your house, you remember that you’ve forgotten to buy something. How many times has this happened to you?
I know it has happened to me many times, and it’s so frustrating. Luckily, our smartphones can give us a hand with making and remembering shopping lists. And, as you’ve probably guessed by now, the help comes in the form of apps, or to be more specific, shopping list apps (or grocery list apps). These little helpers will allow you to do your grocery shopping with ease and never forget anything again.
Which shopping list apps should you try?
There are a number of shopping list apps available for all devices. They provide users with the possibility to create simple and easy lists that they can later edit, so they will never forget anything on their trip to the supermarket.
Until our homes will have smart kitchen appliances that can order groceries on their own, we’ll just have to make due with these (however, smart houses and smart cities are not too far away).
Cross platform shopping list apps
If you want to have the same app across all your devices, but you have multiple platforms, then these apps will be the best solution. They provide support for Android and iOS devices, and some also work on BlackBerry. Just what you need if you own more than one smartphone, or if you want your entire family to use the apps.
One of the simplest and most complete shopping list apps you can find is Grocery iQ. This app allows users to create shopping lists as well as browse prices and find deals. It makes shopping easier and it also lets the owner save some money. The simple to use user interface is perfect for everyone and thanks the all the features that are provided, shopping can be a breeze.
Available for Android and iOS
Our Groceries is another well known app that many have used and loved. The simplicity with which users can add and remove items from the shopping list is the app’s strongest point, as it is perfect for a crowded supermarket where you don’t have time to fiddle with menus and options. The app also allows users to share shopping lists, so you can send deals or ideas to your friends if you want.
Available for Android, iOS and BlackBerry
Price: Free Buy Me a Pie
One of the best looking apps of all is Buy Me a Pie, and although at the moment it is only available on iOS devices (both iPhone and iPad), the Android version is just around corner. The app offers the possibility to sync you lists with other users as well as add different articles to the in-app dictionary for easy input later on.
Available for iOS and very soon for Android
Remember The Milk is the true definition of a cross platform app, being available on a host of platforms and integrated in many services. Also, the itself is very simple to use, it’s user interface is intuitive, so you can focus on making your shopping rather then on figuring out how to add an item to your list.
Available for Android, iOS, Chrome, Gmail, Google Calendar, Twitter, Microsoft Outlook, Siri, Bookmarklet and Web Interface
Last but not least, in our list of the best shopping list apps is Out of Milk. The app provides support for those who want to be able to access and modify their shopping list from multiple locations, and to do it easily and via a easy and good looking user interface. Out of Milk is the best app for those that want a simple, yet effective shopping list app.
Available for Android, iOS and Web Interface
iOS Shooping List Apps
iOS users that don’t like the cross platform apps featured above have the option of trying one of the dedicated iOS alternatives.
- Shopping List (Grocery List) – Price: $2.99
- Shopper Pro – Grocery Lists and Recipes – Price: $0.99
- Simple Grocery List – Price: Free
- Shopping List from Recipe.com – Price: Free
- GroceryList – The Fastest Way to Make Your Grocery List – Price: $1.99
- Grocery Gadget Shopping List – Price: $3.99
- GrocerEaze – Price: Free
- AnyList – Grocery Shopping List & Recipes – Price: Free
- Grocery Mate – Easy to Use Shopping List – Price: Free
- Grocery List Ease-Shopping List+Coupons – Price: Free
Android Shopping List Apps
If you own a Android device, then these apps will be what you are looking for. Covering all price ranges, you will definitely find the perfect app in this list.
- Mighty Grocery Shopping List – Price: $3.89
- Grocery King Shopping List – Price: $4.89
- ToMarket Grocery Shopping Pro – Price: $3.98
- Grocery Smart – Shopping List – Price: Free
- Smart Grocery – Price: Free
- Supermarket – Price: $1.49
- You’ve got shopping – Price: Free
- Shopping Basket – Price: $2.61
- GroceryPro – Price: $0.99
- My Groceries – Price: Free
Alternatives for grocery list apps
If you don’t want to install yet another single-purpose app on your smartphone, then you can use one that will help you with pretty much anything that needs to be remembered, as well as get some other features at the same time.
- Google’s new service, Keep is a perfect tool for creating shopping lists and updating them at any point from home, so even if you remember something after you’ve sent someone to pick up the groceries, you can update the lists and they will see.
- Evernote is also a good service that can double as a shopping list app. Like Google Keep, it allows users to create lists and update them from a computer at any time. The service is also free to use and it provides many other features and uses.
- Springpad is another service that is similar to the Keep and Evernote. It is compatible with Android, iOS, Kindle and as a Chrome Extension or Firefox Add-on. Also, you can use it via the web interface from any Internet connected computer.
Nevertheless, if you want to have a dedicated app for creating shopping lists, then the app featured here will definitely give you a hand. If you have used other apps that are good, feel free to leave a comment and we’ll be glad to add them to the list.