- Command Prompt is one of the most useful tools on Windows as it enables developers to test their codes, allows users to flash custom ROMs, ping their WiFI networks, and more.
- However, many users on Windows 11 are complaining about the Command Prompt window failing to work from them.
- We will look at some of the best troubleshooting methods to fix the Windows 11 Command Prompt not working issue.
Command Prompt is one of the most valuable tools in Windows as it allows developers to test their codes, allows users to flash custom ROMs, ping their WiFi networks, change a number of hidden Windows settings, and much more.
Recently, however, many users have complained online that the Windows 11 command prompt does not work for them. As a result, they are unable to perform their desired tasks.
Some may object that you still have the Windows 11 Powershell window, but the PowerShell commands are a bit different, and over the years, many users have become accustomed to the general look and commands of the command prompt.
If you are one of those users who cannot live without the Command Prompt, you do not need to worry because we have looked at some of the best troubleshooting methods to solve the problem of Windows 11 Command Prompt not working once for all.
1. Check anti-virus settings
Many antivirus programs restrict access to the command prompt to prevent your PC from being damaged or hacked. To verify that the antivirus program is the problem, disable it and try using Command Prompt again. This time, the Windows 11 Command Prompt should work again.
2. Run SFC Scan
The following method to fix the Windows 11 Command Prompt is to run a special SFC scan through the Windows 11 terminal. Let us take a look at it.
- Launch the start menu by pressing the Windows key or manually open it by using the mouse cursor.
- Here, search for Powershell and hit run as an administrator.
- Type the following command in the cmd window and press enter
- It will now start scanning the PC for any issues and try to resolve them automatically, thereby fixing the Command Prompt problem.
3. Run DISM Scan
If the SFC scan also does not fix the problem, you should try running the DISM scan to fix the Command Prompt problem.
- Launch the powershell window on your PC via the start menu.
- Enter the following commands in a sequence.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Once done, restart your PC, and this time around, the Command Prompt should work just fine.
4. Edit Environmental Variable
- Press the Windows+R keyboard shortcut and launch the Run menu on your PC.
- Now, type sysdm.cpl and press the OK option.
- A new window will pop up here; select the Advanced settings option.
- Click on the Environment Variable path option in the bottom-right corner of the active window.
- Here, choose the Path option and hit Edit.
- Select New and type-in the following command
- Press OK and restart your PC and check if Windows 11 Command Prompt not working issue has been resolved.
5. Run Windows Security Check
Windows offers its users a sense of freedom by allowing them to install any software available on the network, but sometimes this freedom can turn out to be a fraud.
What’s my point? These untested third-party programs can often mess up Windows settings, causing the command prompt to stop working.
However, you can quickly run a Windows security scan to look for vulnerabilities in the system and fix the problem of the Windows 11 Command Prompt not working.
- Use the Windows + I keyboard shortcut to launch the settings menu on Windows 11.
- Here, navigate to the Privacy and Security Tab from the left pane.
- Select the Windows Security Option.
- Now, choose the Virus and Threat option. Once done, hit the quick scan option.
- The tool will scan your PC and check for any viruses. After the scan is completed, the Command Prompt window issue should get resolved.
6. Create New User Account
Due to some user-related settings of Windows 11, the command prompt often does not work. To verify that the current user is the culprit, follow these steps to create a new user account and verify that CMD works again.
- Press the Windows + I keyboard shortcut to launch the Windows 11 settings app.
- Select Accounts from the left pane.
- Navigate to the Family and other users tab.
- Here, choose the Add account option under other users.
- In the new pop up window, click on the I don’t have this person’s sign-in information. Once done, follow the on-screen instructions to create a new user account.
- Now, the Windows 11 Command Prompt not working should get resolved.
7. Use Safe Mode
It is common for third-party software to corrupt the default Windows 11 settings, causing problems such as the command prompt not working. To check if third-party software is causing problems with Command Prompt, start Windows 11 in Safe Mode by following these steps.
- Launch the start menu on your Windows 11 machine.
- Now, hold the shift key on your keyboard and click on the power menu.
- Hit restart and wait for your PC to boot.
- You should not enter the Windows 11 safe mode. Once you have successfully entered the safe mode on your PC, try running the Command Prompt.
- If the Command Promptwindow works perfectly fine then in most cases, third-party software is the elephant in the room causing issues.
8. Update Graphics Driver
Another cause of the Windows 11 Command Prompt not working problem is outdated graphics drivers. To fix this problem, perform the following steps.
- Press the Windows+X key and launch the device manager.
- Now, look for the processors’ option and click on it.
- Once done, right-click on the graphics card and select update driver from the drop-down list.
- After the drivers are updated, recheck the Windows 11 start menu functionality.
9. Check for Updates
Probably the most common and easiest way to fix the problem of Command Prompt not working in Windows 11 is to update Windows 11 to the latest version. Press the Windows+I key combination and navigate to the Updates section to update your PC.
10. Reset your Windows 11 Machine
If Windows 11 Command Prompt does not work even after trying all the above troubleshooting methods, your only option is to reset your Windows 11 computer.
Press the Windows + I key combination and navigate to the Reset PC option in the PC settings to reset your PC.
Fix Windows 11 Command Prompt Not Working Issue with Ease
With the help of the troubleshooting steps described above, you should be easily able to fix the Windows 11 Command Prompt not working issue and run your favorite commands seamlessly.
Let us know in the comments below if you found this article helpful and successfully fixed the Windows 11 Command Prompt not working issue.
FAQs on Fixing Windows 11 Command Prompt Not Working Issue
If you want to access the Command Prompt (CMD) on your Windows 11 PC, simply launch the search box and search for Command Prompt. Alternatively, you can press Start + R, type .cmd, and press Enter.
Using CMD on Windows 11, you can perform a variety of actions, such as running batch scripts, accessing administrative settings, running ADB commands, and more. You can also troubleshoot a variety of Windows settings and play with network settings as well.
If you want to create a shortcut to CMD on the Windows 11 desktop, it's pretty simple. Right-click on any empty space on the desktop and select New from the drop-down list. Now click on the shortcut, type CMD and click Finish. Boom, you have successfully added the CMD shortcut to your Windows 11 desktop.
What if you want to pin the CMD window to your taskbar? Well, do not worry, that's easy too. Just launch the Windows 11 Start menu and look for Command Prompt. Now select the "Pin to taskbar" option in the right pane and CMD will be effortlessly pinned to the taskbar.
Another bug that is frequently reported online is the problem with the Windows 11 taskbar not working. The redesigned taskbar does not work for many users after upgrading to Windows 11, which is quite problematic for them. But you do not need to worry because we already have a detailed guide on how to fix the Windows 11 taskbar not working problem.