How to Download all the Data WhatsApp has on you
A series of recent revelations have sort of created a hovering question mark around Facebook’s entire suite of services. WhatsApp’s public image, whose policy updates were already causing the messaging service a multitude of setbacks especially in regions in Europe, suffered a lot out of this as well. One of the ways Facebook is trying to make its users feel safer is by letting them easily check what kind of and how much data the company has on them. The feature is now rolling out to WhatsApp’s beta users as well, here’s how to access it.
Download all the Data WhatsApp has on you
- To get started, ensure you’re on the WhatsApp beta channel. You do so by heading over to this link and hitting the big “Become a tester” button.
- Next, open up the Play Store on your phone and update the WhatsApp app.
- If you find all this a little too complicated, you can also simply download the latest beta APK and sideload it. You can grab that from this link.
- Now, all you need to do is for generating the report is launch the WhatsApp app, open settings from the three-dot menu present on the top right, and tap the first option which is “Account”.
- There, you’ll find “Request Account Info”. Click the “Request Info” button. Your report should be ready in a day, although I received mine in a couple of hours. Since your messages are not obviously not included this, the response time doesn’t depend on how active you’re on WhatsApp.
The report will include several details such as whether you’ve opted in or out for sharing the data with Facebook, which platform you’re on, your phone’s model number, since when you’ve been online, and more. The feature should begin rolling out to all the users in a few weeks. However, as of now, we don’t know when is this coming for iPhones. That’s it for this quick guide, do let us know in the comments section if you’re stuck at a step.