- A large part of the writing and editing process today involves humans using writing assistants to fix grammatical and spelling mistakes. But sadly, these tools do not have much to offer in terms of the writing process.
- Wordtune does its bit here and augments your writing process to make your content more compelling, impactful, and easy to comprehend.
- Developed by AI21 Labs, Wordtune is essentially an AI-powered extension for Chromium-based browsers that provides you tailored suggestions for words and sentences in your writing to convey your message efficiently.
- Wordtune works across web versions of popular Gmail, Docs, Slack, Outlook, Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp, and other services.
A large part of the writing and editing process today is manual and involves humans checking and editing the final copy before it is published. If you’re a creative professional whose work revolves primarily around writing, you would be aware of the different writing assistants that have emerged over the past few years. Ones that help you fix the glaring grammatical and spelling mistakes you have in your copy to simplify your editing process. However, while these tools work well with edits, they do not offer much in terms of the writing process. Fortunately, though, thanks to AI and the emergence of advanced (NLP) language models, we are starting to see tools that augment your writing process and help you convey your idea effectively.
One such offering is a relatively new product that lets you write better and translate your thoughts into words effectively. Called Wordtune, the tool is essentially an extension for Chromium-based browsers, powered by AI, which provides you tailored suggestions for words and sentences in your writing to make it clear and easy to comprehend.
Let’s check out Wordtune and find out how you can include it in your creative workflow to improve your content.
What is Wordtune?
Wordtune is an AI-powered writing companion that helps you in the writing process to make your content more compelling, impactful, and at the same time, easy to comprehend. It is available as a free browser extension for Chromium-based browsers and can be downloaded from the Chrome Web Store. You can install it on a compatible browser and use it while writing on different platforms like Google Docs, Sheets, Gmail, Facebook, and Twitter, to name a few.
How does Wordtune work?
Developed by AI21 Labs: a startup co-founded by AI luminaries of Israel’s IDF, headquartered in Tel Aviv, Israel, Wordtune utilizes the power of AI and language models to suggest to you the different ways of conveying your message while maintaining the same intent. To do this, the service relies on some of the recent advancements in the field of natural language processing (NLP), primarily the new kind of neural networks called Transformers and the extensive language models that boast billions of parameters.
In this regard, we already have companies like Google and Microsoft, who are implementing neural networks for their ‘smart compose’ and ‘rewrite suggestions’ features on Gmail and Word, respectively. Likewise, there are many GPT-3 tools for copywriting for different kinds of marketing materials, ad campaigns, emails, and even blog posts.
But, unlike any of those, AI21 Labs is taking a rather different approach with Wordtune. As per one of its co-founders, the system employed on Wordtune is a “fusion of neural network-based language models and an older form of artificial intelligence (AI) that seeks to represent human knowledge, like vocabulary and the meaning of words, in a graph structure.” What this essentially means is that this fusion is part of the system that allows the system to have a better understanding of the intent expressed in writing.
Related Read: 10 Ways to Fix Chat GPT not Working Error
What does Wordtune offer?
Worktune offers a host of writing functionalities to help you improve your written content and convey your message more effectively. Based on what plan you are subscribed to, you get different sets of functionalities. But, just to give you an idea of what you can do with the tool, here’s a breakdown of its key features.
1. Rewrite: allows you to express your intent in different ways. To do this, Wordtune offers you a few different rewrite suggestions against your written statement. You can then decide on the alternative suggestion that best describes your intent and select it to replace your original text.
2. Smart Paste: makes integrating external text into a piece of writing seamless and easy. So, whenever you need to add some text from some other source into your piece of writing, this functionality blends the pasted text into your writing cohesively to make your document sound (and read) natural.
3. Suggestions: presents you with alternative words that you can use in place of a word in your writing. If you find yourself struggling to find the right word to express your message, word suggestions can help you with just that by suggesting words that fit naturally in the context of your message.
4. Word finder: gives you different options for words you can use in your sentence. For instance, if English is not your native language, you can use this feature to enter a similar word (to what you want to write) to express your idea, and Wordtune will replace it with a fitting one.
5. Examples: pulls up sentences from the internet that use a similar phrasing in their sentences as you’ve used in yours to clear your doubts around your written piece. That way, you do not have to worry about using incorrect phrasing in your writing.
What platforms does Wordtune support?
At the time of writing this post, Wordtune supports web versions of popular services like Gmail, Docs, Slack, and Outlook, as well as top social media websites such as Twitter and Facebook. In addition, it is also available to use on Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, and Linkedin.
Also Read: How to Train Stable Diffusion AI with Your Face to Create Art Using DreamBooth
How to use Wordtune?
To get started, the first thing you need to do is visit the Chrome Web Store on a Chromium-based browser and download the Wordtune extension. Once done, make sure it is installed and enabled. Next, head over to Wordtune’s website and sign up for an account. If you are just getting started, you can use their free plan to experience the functionality in practice. However, do note that the free subscription is limited to only two features: Rewrite and Suggestions. So, over time, as you get used to the tool and find it a useful aid in your workflow, you can upgrade to a paid subscription to get access to all the missing functionalities.
Now that you have set up Wordtune on your browser click on the extension button (in the toolbar menu of the browser) and sign in to your Wordtune account.
With everything set, you can now start using the service.
To use Wordtune, first, go to the (supported) service or website on a Chromium-based browser. Now, open the written piece of content you would like to improve and highlight the sentence/word you wish to change and simplify. As soon as you do that, you will see a small toolbar-like popup with all the different functionalities like Rewrite, Smart Paste, Word Finder, Suggestions, and Examples. [If you are on a free plan, you only get to use the rewrite functionality, whereas if you have upgraded to a Premium plan, you can access other functionalities as well.]
From these functionalities, click on the button for the action you want to perform on the selected word/sentence in your writing. Now, based on what action you choose, you will see a few alternative suggestions for the same. Again, from these options, select the one that you feel fits your writing perfectly to replace the equivalent word/sentence in your piece of content.
Related Read: 15 Best ChatGPT Chrome Extensions
Wordtune Pricing Plans
Wordtune offers three subscription tiers: Free, Premium, and Premium for Teams. With the Free plan, you can access the Suggestions and Rewrite functionalities, whereas Premium (for $9.99 per month) offers you the entire suite of Wordtune’s functionalities. Lastly, if you are a business or a team of five or more members, you can subscribe to the Premium plan for teams, pricing for which is available on inquiry.
Besides, if you are just getting started, you can experience Wordtune and access all its functionalities for free with a 7-day free trial.
If you are someone whose work revolves around writing a lot of emails, articles, social media posts, and other kinds of content, you can leverage the language processing prowess of Wordtune to your advantage and improve your piece of writing to convey your idea more effectively. Having said that, even though the free subscription offers only two functionalities, in our opinion, it is still sufficient to tweak your writing and make it compelling and easy to comprehend.
PS: We’ve optimized the title of this post using Wordtune!