- Users can find themselves in situations where they’ll need to record phone calls with other people.
- However, this feature is not built in on any iPhone which calls for the need to use other means in recording phone calls.
- In this article, we’ll go through all you need know about call recording on iPhone and how it can be done without app.
Anyone can get into a situation where they need to record a call on their phone, especially to have a copy of the conversation with someone for later use. And this feature can be found in practically all Android phones.
Considering the importance of being able to record calls, people have asked how to record calls on iPhone. And there are quite a few paid and free third-party apps that make this possible.
Fortunately, you can record calls on iPhone without these third-party applications. Here in this article, we’ve compiled a list of 4 easy ways to record calls on iPhone. But before we get into that, let’s explore some things you need to know about recording phone calls.
Is it legal to record a phone call on an iPhone?
Apple only restricts this feature to ensure the safety of its users. But on many occasions, there can be positive reasons for wanting to make recordings of our phone conversations with others. In this case, it’s acceptable for everyone to do so.
However, some people use these recordings in a very abusive way, which is the main reason why the iPhone doesn’t support this feature. And this might change in the future.
More importantly, check your local laws with regards to phone call recording. Even Google Dialer app on Android warns the people on the call that the call is being recorded.
How does iPhone call recording work?
Recording calls on iPhones is very possible thanks to third-party apps designed for this purpose. Even if you don’t have this app, you can still record calls on your iPhone using the methods described in the next section.
Almost all of these approaches, paid or free, work the same way. Here’s how it’s done: the call is set up as a three-way conference call, where the app or platform connects you to the other participants and records all your conversations.
The method may seem difficult, but it’s actually quite simple and fairly accessible, as any iPhone allows you to merge calls. Also, your iPhone’s voicemail can be used to record calls. However, before you try this method, you should make sure that your phone meets these requirements.
- Voicemail is being set up on your iPhone
- iOS 9.0 or higher version is installed
- Disable call waiting on your device. Here is how to do that:
- Go to Settings on your iPhone
- Click on Phone and select Call waiting on the resulting page.
- Toggle off the switch in front of call waiting to disable this feature.
How to record call on iPhone without app?
Any of these can be used to record phone calls on the iPhone without the need to download a third-party application, whichever you see fit.
Method 1: Record Calls with another device
This is an easy way to record phone calls on iPhone if you have access to another device, such as a second phone, a laptop, or even a recording device. Follow the steps below to record phone calls with another device:
- Put a call through to the person you wish to record your conversation with
- Then put the phone on the loudspeaker to amplify the sound
- Open the recorder on the other device to start saving up your conversation with the person
Method 2: Use Google Voice to Record Calls on iPhone
Google Voice is a free and easy-to-use VoIP service that can be used on any iOS device. You get a free phone number that you can use to make all domestic calls on your device. So if you want to know how to record calls on iPhone, you can use Google Voice.
It is also possible to record phone calls using this service simply by having an account with it. However, this option is only available to residents of the United States and Canada, but most people find a way around this limitation. Here is how to record calls on iPhone using Google Voice:
- Visit Voice.google.com to create and set up a Google Voice account on your iPhone.
- Install and run Google Voice app on your device to complete the setup.
- Return to the app main page and select the three-bar menu at the top left corner of the screen.
- Select Settings from the sidebar menu and click on Calls.
- Then turn on Incoming calls
- To record conversation, dial the number you wish to record a conversation with and press “4”
- To end this recording as well, press 4 again or just end this call
- You’ll be able to access your recordings in the Google Voice inbox.
Method 3: Record phone call on iPhone with a voicemail inbox
Looking for how to record calls on iPhone? This is another simple alternative for recording phone calls without an app. The method works on all iPhones as long as the voicemail feature works and all the other requirements above are met.
To record phone calls with this method, do this:
- Dial the phone number you plan on having a recorded call with.
- On the resulting interface, click on the Add call menu.
- You will be led to your contact list: select your phone number and dial it.
- On doing this, the system automatically adds your voicemail.
- Confirm that your voicemail has been added with a beep
- Click on Merge option on the dial interface to merge the existing call and the voicemail recorder into a conference call
- The Voicemail will record all conversations icon made and this can be accessed via your voicemail inbox
Method 4: Record with an external recording website
Instead of using a third-party app to record iPhone calls, you can use online recording sites like Recordator. Follow these steps to learn how to record calls on iPhone with Recordator:
- Visit Recordator.com and create a free account with them
- Dial their toll-free number depending on your country of residence: it’s already listed on the website
- After the call has gone through, select add call on the outgoing call interface
- Choose the number you wish to dial and put a call through to it.
- After the receiver picks up, select the merge option on your screen.
- This automatically becomes a conference call where the toll-free number serves as the recorder
- Once you are done with the call, you can easily download your recording in the My Recordings section of your Recordator account.
FAQs on iPhone Call Recording
Yes, you can record a phone call with your iPhone. Even though this feature is not built into iPhones because of Apple's stringent privacy policies, there are some workarounds for it. These include using
- third-party applications,
- external call recorders, or
- Google Voice.
If you are looking for a free iPhone call recorder, you can consider making use of the Rev Call Recorder. The app doesn't have any hidden fee or ads content which makes it very easy to use. It has close to 10,000 reviews with an average rating of 4.4 which is great for a iPhone call recording app.
No. Unlike Android, iPhones don't come with an auto call recording feature. This is by design. Apple's stringent privacy policies prohibit auto call recording features on iPhones. But there are workarounds like using voicemail, third-party apps, or a few other ways to implement iPhone call recording.
No. You cannot record a phone call on iPhone with screen recording. By design, Apple prohibits iPhone call recording natively but there are other ways like using voice mail or Google Voice or some third-party apps to record iPhone calls.
There are multiple ways to record calls on iPhone without using any app for free. In this article, we have listed down the best ways to do that. It includes
- Using another device to record calls
- Using Google Voice
- Using Voicemail
- Using external recording website
Almost all Android phones have inbuilt support for call recording. Even the default Google dialer app supports call recording. Also, you can either set this automatically or manually switch on this on any call you wish to record.
If you are looking for the best call recorder for your phone, you can go for any of these:
- Automatic Call Recorder
- ACR Call Recorder
- Rev Call Recorder
- Cube ACR